1/5/17

The AR-15 Build: Sharps Rifle Co. Relia-Bolt

Since the plan for this particular build is for it to use a short stroke piston gas system, the kit that I'm interested in comes with a bolt carrier but no bolt. As such, I've been looking at different bolts to use in this build that would be practical, functional, and maybe one with some cool points too. Enter the Sharps Rifle Company Relia-Bolt!


Originally I was planning on using a Criterion hybrid barrel with a headspaced BCM bolt. After doing some research, it seems like most reputable bolt and barrel companies will produce products that are within very tight tolerances which make it possible to get reliable and safe function from most barrel/bolt combos. This allows me to free up both my barrel and bolt choices for this build.

Note the angled locking lugs and their rounded shape, features unique to the Relia-Bolt.

I will also preface this by saying that there are some very particular features of that Relia-Bolt that had no impact on my choice to use it. I does not matter to me that they redesigned the locking lugs to allow them to operate under extreme conditions, nor did it matter to me that the metal they decided to use is S7 tool steel rather than the industry standard Carpenter 158 steel. The only reasons that I chose the Relia-Bolt were because of its price and its NP3 Plus coating.

A view from the front at the rounded profile of the lugs.

On the NP3 coating, it has been explained to me, in short, as superior to NiB (nickel boron) coatings. Quoted from http://coatingtechnologiesinc.com/np3/ under A Unique Concept in Coating Technology, it states that "NP3 is a surface treatment for various metals and alloys that combines sub-micron particles of PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) with autocatalytically applied nickel/phosphorus. The result is an accurately applied, dry lubricated, low friction surface that is extremely hard and resistant to wear.
The PTFE is evenly distributed throughout and locked into the nickel phosphorus matrix creating a true and stable composite. As wear occurs fresh particles of PTFE are exposed to keep the surface lubricated. This lubrication is available as long as the integrity of the coating is intact."


As for the price, I could not find a better deal on a quality bolt. Period.

I paid just $60.79 for the Sharps Relia-Bolt, and that includes the uprated NP3 Plus coating as well as shipping to my front door. The Criterion barrel that I was originally thinking about comes with a BCM bolt, and to buy that by itself, it costs $79.95 before shipping. Brownells sells Daniel Defense bolts for $66.00, but again, that also doesn't include shipping. For specialty coated bolts, Brownells also sells the FailZero Exo-Treated Nickel Boron Bolt Assembly, but as I've been told, NiB is inferior to NP3, and the cost of the unit is $86.20 before shipping. From everything that I can tell, I'm paying less than a bolt with a standard phosphate finish while getting better performance than a more expensive NiB coating. That sounds like a win to me!

I know that there have been problems with the bolt in the past with them breaking, but it seems to me that Sharps has completely fixed the problem. Even so, Sharps offers a lifetime warranty on their products, so should I encounter issues, they'll cover it.

As a side note, after trying the Magpul MOE K grip, I found that I no longer need a few parts that I originally thought were necessary. These are namely the extended magazine release and the extended bolt catch. As such, I will be removing them for the list, and may reinvest the savings into this build in the future.

As my build list now stands:





Total cost to date: $533.53
Estimated cost remaining: $1,351.75

Estimated Grand Total: $1,885.28


I am back under my $2000 budget, and things are looking good! It feels like I'm in the home stretch, but I know that from now on, it's going to be mostly the larger purchases. Hopefully there are some good sales soon!

'Till next time.


-AA

1 comment:

  1. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. AR 15 rifle

    ReplyDelete