7/18/17

AR-15 Dust Cover Comparison: MilSpec vs. Strike Industries

Finally, I'm back with another post! This time I'll be looking at the differences between the MilSpec dust cover and an aftermarket alternative.

When I first started making my AR-15 build list, I knew that I wanted to replace some of the stadnard MilSpec parts with different options for reasons ranging from weight savings to just having some extra cool factor. If you've been following this build, you will know that I originally planned on getting a stripped upper receiver. As you would also know, I ended up finding a better deal on an upper that included a MilSpec dust cover already installed.

Now that I have the opportunity, I will make a brief comparison between the SI Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover and its MilSpec counterpart.

So the obvious comparison would be in their weight. Why pay more for a different dust cover if the original works just fine? In my case, it was all about shaving off unnecessary weight where I could without going crazy on cost.

The MilSpec dust cover comes in at 0.8oz on my scale. It's under an ounce in total weight, not much to it at all. This weight does include the hinge pin and e-clip.

MilSpec Dust Cover: 0.8oz

The Strike Industries Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover comes in at an incredible 0.4oz! This is a completely self contained unit, so there is no additional hinge pin or other hardware to account for, it's all built in!

Strike Industries EUDC: 0.4oz

Amazingly, the Strike Industries dust cover is half the weight of the MilSpec dust cover. Even though the difference between the two is less than half of an ounce, looking at it another way, it's still a 50% weight savings.

So besides weight, are there any other advantages to using the Strike Industries unit? In my opinion, I think there is, but they are very minor.

For one, like I mentioned earlier, the Strike Industries dust cover is a self contained unit. There are no additional parts needed for the dust cover to be installed in the upper receiver, which simplifies the installation as well as the overall function of the part. Just depress the spring loaded pivot pin on the left side of the dust cover and pop it into place. Done! No need for that long pivot rod that the MilSpec unit requires or that tiny e-clip either. The tension on the retaining detent is also adjustable. This means if your receiver is tight or loose, this dust cover can compensate and still remain at the perfect amount of tension holding it closed. This might be handy for worn out uppers (though I've never heard of this being a problem), or out of spec uppers (which I find to be much more likely).

Are there any downsides to the Strike Industries dust cover? In my experience, yes. Again, it was all very minor, but I think it's worth mentioning nonetheless.

After installing the SI dust cover, I found that it did not swing fully open under its owns spring tension. It would stop about half way in its swing. The fix was simple enough, just using a razor blade to shave off a tiny amount of material where it rubbed around the edges and the pivots. I've also heard that this will not fit on some milled uppers, but I cannot confirm this statement as I only have a forged upper at the moment. This is also made in Taiwan, so if you're trying to go for an all American make build, than this is not the part for you. V Seven Weapon Systems makes a lightweight aluminum dust cover that's make in America, but it still isn't as light as the SI counterpart.

If you're looking for a lightweight dust cover and don't mind the polymer construction, Taiwanese origin, and the potential for minor fitting, than I would highly recommend it. I think it looks good, and I don't foresee having any issues with it at all. Once I get to shooting with it, I will be sure to update y'all if my opinions on this part changes.

That's it for now. Up next will be the handguard!

'Till next time,


-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment