1/2/17

AR-15 Small Grip Comparison: BCM Gunfighter Grip MOD 0 vs. Magpul MOE K

I had originally bought the BCM Gunfighter Grip MOD 0 for my AR-15 build because I thought that it included features that I needed, namely the duckbill option. After a preliminary fitting of all my parts, it turns out that most modern enlarged trigger guards eliminate the gap between the trigger guard ears that digs into your middle finger, so a duckbill on a grip wasn't needed in my application. Once I made that realization, I immediately wanted to try a Magpul MOE K grip because of its smaller size and lighter weight. 

Lucky for me, I found one locally that I was able to try, and this is what I found when I compared the two grips head to head.


Before we go any further, I want to reiterate how small my hands are. I've taken some photos of my hands against a ruler and tape to try and quantify my hand size, and by doing so, give you a reference to why I might like one grip over the other, and to give you the chance to compare your hand size against mine at home.

My hand measures about 3.5" wide across the knuckles when open, and about 4" wide when in a fist. 

Circumference across the knuckles is about 8.5" when the tape is pulled taut. 

From the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger is about 6.75" in length.

This AR-15 build that I'm in the process of completing is geared towards being as practical as possible. To me, this means cutting weight where I don't need it, and putting it on where it makes sense. As such, I decided to weigh these grips to see how much of a weight difference there is between them.

 BCM Gunfighter Grip MOD 0 coming in at 3.2oz including mounting hardware

Magpul MOE K grip coming in at 2.4oz including mounting hardware

As we can see from the photos above, the Magpul MOE K grip is the lighter grip of the two, being approximately 0.8oz lighter than the BCM Gunfighter Grip MOD 0. Is a weight difference that is under an ounce going to make a huge impact on this build? Most likely not, but if I like the lighter grip and can save the weight, why not?

With the BCM Gunfighter installed, the grip is perfectly usable. My hand naturally rides high into the grip thanks to the shape of the backstrap, but the extra circumference makes the grip down at my pinky a little wide for my liking. I also have quite a bit of room at the bottom of the grip that I don't need. I know for a fact that the trap door that the BCM grip has is contributing to its heavier weight. I don't plan on using the trap door, so this feature is not something that is going to affect my decision.

Holding the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 grip in a natural firing position

With the Magpul MOE K grip installed, I could immediately feel the difference in circumference. My grip felt overall more secure, and my pinky in particular felt like it had a better hold on the MOE K. The overall grip length is also much closer to my hand size than the BCM. I don't feel cramped on this grip, and I don't feel the bottom corner of the grip on my palm. That being said, I can completely understand if someone with larger hands found the MOE K to be uncomfortable from its small circumference and short length.

Holding the Magpul MOE K grip in a natural firing position. Notice how my pinky gets around the grip more than the BCM. Very nice!

After handling these grips side by side, it was immediately apparent to me that the Magpul MOE K grip felt better to me than the BCM Gunfighter MOD 0 grip. Even so, I cannot say that either grip is made to a higher quality or standard, as both are excellent products.

If you are making a build for children, petite women, or someone like me who was just born with the smallest hands on planet Earth, than I would highly recommend the Magpul MOE K grip. The lower price and the lighter weight are also an added bonus.

If you like the option for a duckbill, trap door, and have small hands that aren't as small as mine, than I would absolutely recommend the BCM Gunfighter MOD 0 grip. The duckbill is particularly useful if you're using a standard MilSpec trigger guard or any other trigger guard that leaves a gap between the ears of the lower receiver.

All in all, I'll be returning the BCM Gunfighter and will be picking up a Magpul MOE K for myself very soon. It's too bad that I have to return this loaner Magpul grip, I like it so much that I don't want to take it off and give it back!

'Till next time.


-AA

5 comments:

  1. Nice review. Is the magpul more vertical than standard grips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Is the magpul more vertical than standard grips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. Is the magpul more vertical than standard grips?

    ReplyDelete