12/11/16

First parts for the AR-15 Build: Pistol Grip, Trigger Guard, and random parts

The 2016 Black Friday season held some good deals, so I decided to take my first step into assembling all the necessary components of my AR-15 build. Overall, I spent just shy of $100 for everything, and got free shipping from both Brownells and Rainier Arms, as well as a $10 cart discount for my Brownells order.

As it stands, these are the parts that I chose to purchase.


Left to right:
CMMG LPK, BCM trigger guard, BCM pistol grip.

Left to right, top to bottom:
Carbine buffer, end plate, cam pin, firing pin retainer, castle nut, firing pin.


CMMG Gunbuilder's LPK:
I chose to go with this lower parts kit for a few reasons. The biggest reason was the simplicity of getting all the required parts I need in a lower without forgetting anything. As this is my first build, I didn't want to order all the springs, detents, and miscellaneous parts separately because I didn't know what I needed to get. Since receiving this LPK, I have made a saved card with Brownells that contains all the same parts as this complete kit, and it came out to maybe $5-$10 cheaper. For my first build, I'm completely happy with buying this pre-assembled kit for the simplicity and comfort of knowing that I'm getting everything I need. 

Secondly, this kit omits the fire control/trigger group, trigger guard, and pistol grip, and buffer tube. I absolutely did not want to run a standard trigger in this build, so not having a spare trigger group was important. The pistol grip wasn't too big of a deal, but I did want to use an enlarged trigger guard. I do want to make this a piston build, so an anti-tilt buffer tube is something that I want to run. It also omits a few other parts, but I wouldn't have minded if it included an end plate and castle nut.

Last, it's all American made parts. While I don't necessarily mind where parts are made (as long as they are of quality make), this was a nice feature.

Bravo Company MOD 0 Trigger Guard and Pistol Grip:
Since my LPK did not come with either a trigger guard or pistol grip, this was a good opportunity to upgrade. I chose the BCM trigger guard simply because it was the cheapest enlarged trigger guard that Brownells offered. I chose the MOD 0 pistol grip for some different reasons.

It's small; I have tiny hands. I can't eat Whopper's because they make my hands look even smaller. 

The angle; A more vertical grip angle is helpful to facilitate proper stance for modern firing positions. I'm feeling more tactical already.

It wasn't the cheapest small grip out there, as MAGPUL offers the MOE-K which is lighter and cheaper, but it doesn't have the option for a duckbill. Once I get my lower and try out the BCM, I may decide to swap to the MOE-K if the gun in comfortable without the duckbill.

Carbine Buffer
I chose the carbine weight buffer simply to reduce the reciprocating mass of the internals when the gun fires. The Superlative Arms piston kit that I want to run uses an adjustable gas block, so I will theoretically be able to tune the gun to run with whatever internals I use.

End plate, cam pin, firing pin retainer, castle nut, and firing pin:
Cheap. The least expensive options that Brownells and Rainier Arms had to offer. Seeing as these are not super critical parts, I didn't see the need to spend a ton on these pieces.



As my build lists stands, here's what's left to buy:


Rainier Arms

Total cost to date: $95.52
Estimated cost remaining: $1,857.98

Estimated Grand Total: $1953.50

I may buy more parts over Christmas/New Year if there are any good deals to be had, but that all depends on how my bank account is feeling. Until then, I may post some of the guns and gear that I currently have to pass the time.

'Till next time.


-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment